Registered Nurse Salary / Wage
Salary and wage information for registered nurses is compiled regularly by analysis of Australian jobs advertised in major publications. Salaries are annual unless otherwise stated.
The Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations Codes (ANZSCO) for registered nurses are:
- 254411 for nurse practitioner
- 254412 for registered nurse (aged care)
- 254413 for registered nurse (child and family health)
- 254414 for registered nurse (community health)
- 254415 for registered nurse (critical care and emergency)
- 254416 for registered nurse (developmental disability)
- 254417 for registered nurse (disability and rehabilitation)
- 254418 for registered nurse (medical)
- 254421 for registered nurse (medical practice)
- 254422 for registered nurse (mental health)
- 254423 for registered nurse (perioperative)
- 254424 for registered nurse (surgical)
- 254425 for registered nurse (paediatrics)
Job titles and exact tasks vary in this work and examples of some occupation titles are registered nurse (RN), practice nurse, psychiatric nurse, operating room nurse and intensive care nurse.
These occupations are currently on the Australian Combined Skilled Occupation List, (Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List, MLTSSL).
The average weekly full-time ordinary earnings in Health Care and Social Assistance in mid 2018 were $1,523, giving an annual income of approximately $79,200. This was 1.0% higher than in mid 2017.*
Data supplied from Indeed over the past 36 months, based on over 3,000 salaries, estimated that the average salary for a registered nurse was $75,332 per annum in Australia.
Registered Nurse Salaries / Wages in 2018
|Job Title||Salary / Wage $||Location|
|Registered Nurse – Night Duty||58,000 – 77,000||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Community Registered Nurse||58,000 – 82,000||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Registered Nurse – Aged Care||58,000 – 77,000||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Registered Nurse||$30 – $40 per hour||New South Wales|
|Grade 2 Registered Nurse, Endoscopy Suite||60,000 – 79,000||Melbourne, Victoria|
|Registered Nurse – Cardiothoracic Vascular / Surgical||$33 – $43 per hour||Brisbane, Queensland|
|Registered Nurse (Offender Health)||67,000 – 86,000||Western Queensland|
|Registered Nurse||$53 – $75 per hour||Canberra, ACT|
|Nurse Specialist – Respiratory||55,000 – 59,000, 3 days a Week||Adelaide, South Australia|
|Registered Nurse – Maternity Leave||62,000 – 72,000||Perth, Western Australia|
These pages may also be of interest: